Cholesterol Home Based Blood Test
High cholesterol, does not cause symptoms. It may lead to heart problems or a stroke if untreated. You can find out if you have high cholesterol from a blood test.
Knowing if you have high cholesterol can help you modify your lifestyle, through healthy eating and exercise. For some people medication is necessary.
Consider having a cholesterol test if you have not had one before and you are over 40. Or if high cholesterol or heart problems run in your family.
What to expect from this Cholesterol Test?
This test can indicate your risk of developing cardiovascular problems. High cholesterol levels can cause your arteries to become blocked, leading to coronary heart disease, a heart attack or even a stroke.
Identifying Conditions of this Test
- Total Cholesterol is a measurement of the total amount of cholesterol in the blood. This includes low-density and high-density lipoprotein cholesterols. Cholesterol is used to produce hormones for development, growth and reproduction.
- High Density Lipoprotein (HDL): considered the 'good' cholesterol because it helps remove cholesterol from the heart’s arteries.
- Low Density Lipoprotein (LDL) is considered ‘bad’ cholesterol because it contributes to cholesterol build-up and blockage in the arteries.
- Total Cholesterol HDL Ratio: is a mathematical calculation which indicates the ratio of total cholesterol versus ‘good’ (HDL) cholesterol in the blood.
- Non-HDL Cholesterol: is a measurement of the total amount of cholesterol in the blood excluding the ‘good’ high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL).
- Triglyceride: another type of fat (not the same as cholesterol) found in the bloodstream.
- HDL percentage: This is the percentage of Total Cholesterol that consists of ‘good’ (HDL) cholesterol.
How does the test process work?
Covguard will send a home-based test kit, which includes all the instructions on how to do the test. Pre-paid returned postage is included in the test kit. Doctor-validated results are emailed via a secure link.
Bespoke Testing for your Organisation
Are health and wellness a priority in your organisation? Covguard offers a combination of home testing, onsite testing and health checks for organisations committed to improving health and wellness. Contact us to discuss a bespoke solution for your establishment, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 02081 547916.
It is important to note that blood tests alone are not a substitute for seeing a doctor. Especially if feeling unwell. Do not make a diagnosis or start any treatment. First, consult a doctor or a trained healthcare professional. Results need to be assessed within the context of a full medical history.